Saturday, July 13, 2013

And Another One?...

So OK, I let all the chickens out of their coop a couple of days ago for two hours.  Two hours! When I went to herd them all back in, my little australorp was missing.  *Sigh* not another one!  I searched and searched for her up in the trees, under shrubs, in the next door neighbor's yard and finally concluded that the fox had carried her off. The new chickies are still small and would be easy pickings for a fox.

Anyway, this small, young un-named hen was gone and I couldn't believe that I'd been so irresponsible to let this happen.  I really liked her. I'd picked her up earlier in the day to admire her pretty feathers and took note of how calm she was.  She also has a habit of wandering away from the rest of the group which isn't always a good idea.

This little hen was on my mind much of the day.  I felt like a terrible chicken mom and I even thought I should find homes for my chickies since I can't seem to protect them very well.

Later that afternoon a most delightful occurrence.  I walked out my front door to find leaves and dirt and all kinds of debris on my front porch steps and walkway.  It startled me at first, then puzzled for 10 seconds more seconds more and then... I realized - a chicken did that!  I started looking under the bushes and behind plants and then I heard little chicken noises.  There she was!  That darn little australorp was poking around the front yard doing her business.  I was so relieved - and happy.  I scooped her up, tucked her under my arm and scolded her for running off and spending the night who knows where!
That's her, the runaway in the center looking to the left

Anyway, a Freecycler man that had come by earlier to pick up some plants, had come across her scratching around.  He said that it kind of freaked him out.  He said that he sat down on the steps and watched her, wondering what to do and finally just left thinking that it must be normal to have a little hen poking around in that front yard.

I guess it IS normal now.

No comments:

Post a Comment